The Instant Pot range of pressure cookers is great because each model offers multiple modern features in a small, neat package.
It’s a range that would not even have existed twenty years ago, especially at such affordable price points.
Having said that, there are now so many models in the Instant Pot range that it can be tough to choose. That’s why so many people search around for comparisons and reviews before buying the most suitable pressure cooker for them.
In this article we will be comparing two very successful models, the Duo Evo Plus and the InstantPot Max.
- The Duo Evo Plus is probably the best choice currently for a family that needs to cook food quickly and easily. With 48 customizable programs and 10 modes of operation, you can cook about anything for your family.
- If you are a more advanced home cook that wants complete control and customization of your cooking recipes or if you want home pressure canning, the Instant Pot MAX model is a better choice.
Brief Overview of Instant Pot Duo Evo Plus
The innovative Duo Evo Plus is one of the newest generation models and is an update to the original and very successful Duo range.
It is one of the most flexible of the Instant Pot models. It may not feature everything that some of the upper range has to offer but it can do most things you need, including cooking rice, making yogurt, steaming, slow cooking, warming food, making cakes, and even cooking in sous vide style.
Thus, this model is ideal for most cooking needs of a regular family of 4 or more people.
The blue control screen is easy to read from a moderate distance and displays information that most people need at any time.
It’s also a pleasure to look at and is a nice upgrade from some of the older models in the range.
In terms of ergonomics, the solid side grips make it easy to handle. The Duo Evo Plus can also be used directly on the stovetop if you need, rather than in pressure cooker mode.
The handles here make it a breeze to transfer from one mode to the other and carry around. And the newly designed flat bottom makes it stable on any stovetop.
Moreover, it is the only model (in 6-quart size) with a powerful 1200w heating element. This means faster heating-up and faster cooking time.
Brief Overview of Instant Pot Max
The Instant Pot Max, as the name suggests, is the one model that will do most everything you need.
If you happen to love cooking or you want to make a career out of it, the Max is going to be a fine investment in most cases. It will even be suitable for chefs and other professionals.
One of the best features of the Instant Pot Max is that you have control over the entire temperature range.
This means that you can cook sous vide, ferment fruits, slow cook, simmer, boil, pressure cook, or sear meat at high temperatures.
In fact, it’s even possible to do pressure canning in the Max model in this popular range of cookers. This flexibility ensures that the Instant Pot Max will do for most of the usual critical cooking applications.
We also love some of the safety features in this model, making it a real go-to for amateurs and professionals alike.
There are no less than 13 safety features inbuilt in this model, where most other models only have 10.
The Instant Pot Max also has an automated air pressure control so it will release as much steam as needed from the pot during pressure cooking for the optimal process.
One feature that more professionally oriented models such as the Instant Pot Max offer is altitude control.
For professionals who move around a lot and travel, being able to adjust a pressure cooker according to elevation above sea level is crucial. This can simplify and speed up cooking and also improve safety.
Comparison Between Duo Evo Plus and Max
The truth is that there’s a lot to love about both the Duo Evo Plus and the Max but so much of your choice is going to depend on how you cook and what you need in the kitchen.
We’d call the Duo Evo Plus a great update to an already good product (the very successful “DUO” models), making it a truly innovative 10-in-1 pressure cooker in a neat package.
On the other hand, the Instant Pot Max is all about ultimate flexibility and maximizing what you can do with a modern pressure cooker.
The slew of safety features and ability to control the full range of temperatures makes it a great choice for the professional on the go or the enthusiastic amateur who wants to do pressure canning, sous vide, or a host of other temperature-dependent cooking styles.
Here are some of the differences and similarities between the two models:
- Both pressure cookers can cook up to seventy percent quicker than other models.
- The Instant Pot Max has the added flexibility of control over the full temperature range, making it ideal for most things from simmering to pressure canning.
- The Duo Evo Plus does not offer control over the full temperature range but still boasts an impressive 48 cooking presets and will allow sous vide-style cooking. This is more than enough for the cooking needs of a regular family.
- Both the Duo Evo Plus and the Max offer easy-to-read displays, with the Duo Evo Plus easier on the eyes even if it displays generally less information
- The Instant Pot Max offers an altitude mode so you can set the pressure cooker up for cooking at different sea levels
- The Instant Pot Max offers 13 safety features including automated air pressure release during cooking.
- The Duo Evo Plus offers 11 safety features and does include automated temperature control and overheat control.
- Both Instant Pot models are made from attractive brushed stainless steel, making them durable in the long
- Both models also include links to the Instant Pot application, which offers over 1000 pressure cooker recipes.
What Customers Say About Duo Evo Plus
Most customers love the innovative feature set of the Duo Evo Plus and the fact that they can go from their old pressure cooker to something that is modern and fits so much in a small, neat package.
Many customers also like that the Duo Evo Plus is ideal for most situations and comes with 48 easy-to-use cooking presets that cater to most styles of cooking.
What Customers Say About Instant Pot Max
Those customers who needed something more were generally satisfied with the Instant Pot Max. The constant 15 PSI of pressure made cooking generally faster and the control over the full temperature range makes it a must-buy for people who are serious about their cooking.
If you want a pressure cooker with plenty of modern features, you really can’t go wrong by choosing either the Instant Pot Duo Evo Plus or the Instant Pot Max. Both offer huge flexibility in small, durable packages with lots of modern features. So which one should you buy and why?
The Instant Pot Duo Evo Plus represents a great update to an already solid model. The improved angled LCD screen is easy-to-read even from a distance and the 48 included cooking presets make cooking a breeze even for first-timers without deep knowledge. In every way, the Duo Evo Plus has been designed for the enthusiastic amateur and may even be a good stand-in for the professional. It is our recommended model for every family.
On the other hand, the Instant Pot Max is without a doubt one of the most flexible pressure cookers in the range. If you need a pot for pressure canning, you need to get the Instant Pot Max.
If you need precise control over the full temperature range for your styles of cooking, you should definitely be looking at the Instant Pot Max. In this context, there’s no question that it is squarely aimed at the more professional market and those who have experience with pressure cooking.
- 5 Best Portable Garage in-a-box (Carport-Canopy) 10×20,12×20
- Comparison of Instant Pot Duo Evo Plus Vs Ultra Multi-Cookers
- Review of Instant Pot DUO 60 Vs DUO Plus 60 – Best Cookers this Year
- 5 Best Crawl Space Dehumidifiers for Small and Large Areas and Basements
- Power Quick Pot 6-Qt vs Instant Pot 6-Qt – Pressure Cookers Comparison
- Some Frequently Asked Questions About Instant Pot Multicooker