If you have a crawl space as home foundation or if you have a basement in your house, I’m well aware of the problems that can arise in these areas: Excess humidity that can cause mold, bacteria and mildew building up, dump and polluted air that may also leak into the house etc.
Many people decide also to insulate their crawlspace (called also “crawl space encapsulation”) which might make things worse in terms of humidity building-up in the space.
Other than the convenience of repairs to pipes or HVAC, crawl spaces or basements require a lot of responsibility and maintenance.
One way to deal with excess humidity and dampness is to have a dehumidifier inside the crawl place or basement to eliminate moisture.
If you’re looking for such an appliance, we have assembled the five best crawl space dehumidifiers for both small and large spaces and basements for easy selection. Keep reading for our review of each model below which is a result of carefully researching each appliance.
Some Important Terms for Dehumidifiers
In our descriptions below you will see acronyms and terms such as PPD, AHAM etc. Let’s explain quickly what they are:
- PPD = Pints Per Day – Number of pints of water the device will remove from the air in 24 hours period.
- AHAM Condition = Environment condition of 60% Relative Humidity @ 80° F
- Saturation Condition = Extreme condition of 90% humidity and 90 degrees Fahrenheit. The appliance will remove more PPD at Saturation Conditions.
1) AlorAir Sentinel HD55 (Best Overall Model)
The first product in our selection list is the AlorAir Sentinel HD55 dehumidifier, which is our best overall model that combines a great price point and excellent features for covering the most demanding requirements.
Some Notable Features
- 55 Pints Per Day (on normal conditions)
- Great for working at cold climates (down to 36 F)
- HGV Defrosting control system
- 33-95% Functioning Humidity Range
- Gravity Draining
- Sound pressure level of <52dB (A)
- Temperature range of 33.8 to 104 F
- Less odors with G3 filter
If you have a problem with humidity or water in your basement or crawl place, then this appliance will make an excellent choice. It’s also suitable for use in a variety of commercial establishments such as shops, factories etc in addition of course to residential home use.
Several things make this machine have a high rating when you compare it to other dehumidifiers on the market.
For starters, it’s highly effective and promises a reliable defrosting process that can work even when temperatures are very low. This means that it functions continuously and will not stop during defrosting, thereby saving energy and costs.
It’s easy to use since it has adjustable settings for the moisture level. You can let it run for 24hours with simultaneous operation of the drain hose.
Whereas some machines tend to corrode due to emission of gasses such as sulfide, oxide, or hydroxide, you’ll have a different experience with the AlorAir Sentinel HD55.
There’s a corrosion protection system in place (making use of epoxy coding) that prevents rusting and leakage of Freon. Thus, it ensures durability and value.
The G3 filter eliminates odor and ensures a silent operation that sounds like sound gushing air. A plus feature is a remote controller for smooth operation. However, this is sold separately.
Overall, the AlorAir Sentinel HD55 is a high-quality machine and offers a lot in terms of versatility. Most people who used this model are extremely satisfied with its performance and effectiveness.
- Value-for-money appliance for most home sizes.
- Multi-use appliance for use in residential and commercial properties.
- The G3 filter reduces odor.
- The interior of the device is corrosion resistant.
- Highly effective with reliable defrosting.
- Doesn’t allow Freon leakage.
- Easy to operate.
- Solidly built.
- Automatic shut-off after 24-hour continuous operation.
- Drains automatically.
- Remote controller sold separately.
2) Aprilaire 1820 (Best Runner-up)
Our next product on our selection list is Aprilaire 1820 dehumidifier, which is another great option for crawlspaces, basements or other residential and commercial properties.
Very useful for removing humidity, mold build-up, prevent wood decay etc and thus keeping away the ugly odor that comes with these situations.
This model is ranked at second place not because it is inferior from the first model above but mainly because of its price tag.
It is certainly more expensive but on the other hand its humidity-removal capacity is better than the AlorAir model (70 PPD compared to 55 PPD).
Let’s see some important specs:
Some Notable Features
- 70 PPD
- American company – This product is built to last.
- It covers up to 2800 sq. feet of area.
- Has a digital control screen and uses a remote controller.
- Five-year warranty.
- Corrosion Resistant.
This unit is made of sturdy construction for durability and consists of rust-resistant aluminum coils. The solid structure prevents any leakage or damage to the equipment. Indeed the system functions in such a way to prevent dampness, mold, odors, and mildew build up on your carpet or furnishings.
The manufacturer is a well-known American company (Aprilaire) which focuses on producing air quality products of the highest quality.
This machine is highly effective and eliminates up to nine gallons of water each day (70 PPD). It runs continuously to eliminate every drop and controls the humidity in your crawl area.
It’s a technologically advanced dehumidifier with an interactive screen for easier control. Hence, you can use a remote controller to adjust the settings.
Lastly, the machine comes with a five-year warranty, and this gives you a lot of confidence to shop.
- Pretty good performance (70 PPD)
- Sturdy construction
- Does not leak
- Highly effective
- Has a digital screen and uses a remote control
- Comes with a five-year warranty
- It’s pricey
- A bit noisy
3) Dri-EAZ F413 Revolution (Best Alternative)
The Dri-EAZ F413 Revolution is another “Made in USA” product and is a perfect definition of a high performing dehumidifier with some impressive performance specs, which however come at a higher price compared to other models.
At 80F and 60% humidity (i.e AHAM condition), it can remove 12 gallons of water, whereas, at 90F and 90% Relative Humidity (i.e at Saturation conditions), it can remove up to 17.3 gallons per day.
Some Notable Features
- Control panel which displays temperature and Relative Humidity levels.
- 80 PPD (12 gallons) per day
- Digital screen
- Compact size to fit in most crawl spaces.
- Built-in pump
- Continues its operation from where it stopped after a power outage.
- Perfect in areas with leaks and floods.
This machine dries water fast in case of leakage or flood, thus eliminating the risk of moisture build-up in your property. Therefore, this helps prevent the growth of mold, mildew, rotting etc.
Additionally, it features a compact design with an overall measurement of 17.6×12.5×21.5 inches; therefore, it will fit well in a small space and through the crawl area.
Due to the compact design, it’s easier to move around. Also, it has some indents at the base, and thus you can load it quickly on a trolley for transport.
The digital display allows you to read the inlet and outlet temperature, track working hours, and to check on relative humidity.
The kit is a value package and comes with a hose for drainage, an electric cord, a 3M filter, and instruction manual. This makes it easier to use since the instructions are easy to master and understand.
Since it is made of durable construction, you can be sure it will last many years.
- Great drainage performance (80 PPD)
- Compact design that fits on a small space and easy to move around
- Highly effective in areas with leaks and floods.
- Durable construction
- Very helpful control panel
4) hOmeLabs 3,000 Sq. Ft (Best for Basements)
So far, all the models above are sized and built in such a way to be used easily in crawl spaces. However, the hOmeLabs model here is built in such a way (its taller than other models) so that it is best suited for basements instead of crawl-spaces.
Some Notable Features
- Covers up to 3000 sq.ft of room area.
- Can be used in any indoor room or basement.
- Removes up to thirty-five pints of water per day (35 PPD)
- Energy Star certified for economical performance.
- Two-year warranty
- It has an outlet for the drain hose.
- Water tank of 1.8 gallons capacity
- Built-in pump compressor.
If you have moisture problems on your property’s basement (or other rooms) due to faults in your concrete floor construction, pipe leakage etc then a dehumidifier like the hOmeLabs model will come in handy. Plus, you can’t beat the low price tag.
We highly recommend the hOmeLabs 3,000 Sq. Ft dehumidifier to get rid of excess moisture and keep your basement, cellar etc (and hence the home) dry. This machine is efficient even in damper areas.
Its portable design with wheels make it easy to move around in any area in the house. It is energy efficient so you can have it running for 24-hours (complete cycle) without worrying about your energy bill.
Regarding durability, this machine will last longer and is made of solid construction. Further, it comes in a sleek design with a convenient structure, wheels, handles, and fan.
There is a two-year warranty on the product, and this gives you a reason to purchase. The fan promises a nearly silent operation and will not disturb your peace.
You can purchase a drain hose separately to get rid of excess moisture. Other useful features include a pump compressor and a turbo mode that ensures maximum fan performance.
- Great Price
- Easy to use
- Highly effective in moisture elimination
- Energy efficient
- Sleek design
- Silent fan
- Solid construction
- A hose is not included in the product
5) AlorAir Sentinel HDi90 – (Best for Large Spaces)
This model comes from the same vendor as the first product in our list, AlorAir. They share similar characteristics and features, although the HDi90 is 90 PPD capacity and includes also a pump.
Some Notable Features
- 90 PPD
- Internal pump compressor
- HGV defrosting system
- Remote control feature
- Can work at Low temperatures (36 F)
- An automated humidistat system
- 5-year warranty
- Runs continuously even under low temperature, Corrosion resistant
The last product in our selection list is the AlorAir dehumidifier for the basement and crawlspace. It’s one of the largest machines in our review and can remove a whopping 90 pints of water every day.
Although the cost is a bit steep when you compare to others, this unit will keep your property dry free from moisture and all related problems. For instance, no odors, rotten wood, mildew, or molds on your property.
Several features make the AlorAir a deal-breaker. Firstly, it runs on continuous cycles with no shutdowns. Secondly, the interior is well protected from corrosion or rust, and hence this makes it a durable machine worth every penny.
Other notable features include also a remote control so that you can adjust the setting for the monitoring process. However, it’s sold separately, which is an added cost.
The machine is durable and is backed by a five-year warranty that gives you peace of mind when purchasing.
- Exceptional performance
- Drains up to 90 pints of water every day
- Runs continuously under low temperatures
- Durable and corrosion-resistant
- Uses a remote control function
- Five-year warranty
- Silent operation
- Great for large crawl spaces or other areas
- It’s expensive
- It’s big and hence may not be suitable for very small spaces
- The remote control is sold separately
Dampness and humidity can be a cause of concern for property owners. At times it can be due to the structural design of the foundation level, other leakage problems, area climate etc.
Unfortunately, it can lead to molds, mildews, rotting, and this can devalue your property in a big way.
Crawl space and basements dehumidifiers are rescuers and will keep your property dry. Due to their high cost, there are several things to consider so that you can get value from your choice.
From our review, the best crawl space dehumidifiers are highly effective, run silently, are durable, compact, and easy to use. With that in mind, you can now shop confidently.
- 5 Best Portable Garage in-a-box (Carport-Canopy) 10×20,12×20
- Instant Pot Duo Evo Plus vs Max – Comparison of Two Top Instant Pot Models
- Comparison of Instant Pot Duo Evo Plus Vs Ultra Multi-Cookers
- Review of Instant Pot DUO 60 Vs DUO Plus 60 – Best Cookers this Year
- Power Quick Pot 6-Qt vs Instant Pot 6-Qt – Pressure Cookers Comparison
- Some Frequently Asked Questions About Instant Pot Multicooker