Solar energy is one of the ultimate saviors from global warming that is worrying the humanity right now. Solar energy implies the power of the sun as it is received by Earth and its surface.
The main advantage of solar energy is that is free and limitless like other sources of renewable energy such as wind energy or wave energy.
A main attractive feature with solar energy is that its harnessing can be done at much lesser costs compared to other forms of renewable energy.
In this article we will examine solar energy systems for homes and buildings in general.
Table Of Contents
Interesting Statistics about Solar Energy
According to various news reports, the following statistics about solar energy will show how capable this renewable energy is to cater to the energy needs of mankind. Intrigued? Move ahead to read more.
- The entire solar energy received by Earth’s atmosphere per year is around 3,850,000 exajoules. This is around 8000 times the energy consumption of the whole world and 40000 times the annual energy requirement of the USA alone.
- Sun, which was born around 4.57 billion years ago and has been constantly emitting energy that is very essential for the existence of mankind, has the potential to emit energy for another 5 billion years! Isn’t that good news?
- The main feature of solar energy is its varied uses. It can be used in its active form or passive form. The active form is the photovoltaic cells that we are using right now, while the passive form is making design modifications in constructions and appliances so that they can use solar energy in a more efficient form.
- One of the beneficial characteristics of solar energy is that it serves all the energy needs of domestic appliances pretty efficiently. Solar architecture, solar thermal systems, artificial photosynthesis are some of the proven ways of using solar energy to meet the energy needs of household appliances effectively.
Usage of Solar Energy for Smart Home Systems
The whole world is turning smart now. All the tasks are getting done just with the click of a remote button. This smartness has spread to home systems too. Smart lights, smartphones, smart fans, smart cooking appliances, smart garden watering systems, smart home monitoring systems, and many such!
Guess what’s common in all of them! They are all smart, yes and then they all need energy for their functioning. This is the crux in solar energy based smart home systems. The energy needed for their working can be provided from solar energy systems.
Benefits of Solar Energy Systems
Usage of solar systems for smart homes and buildings offer multiple benefits both to the user and to the Mother Earth.
The Best Form of Renewable Energy Source
Unlike water, wind, wave or geothermal energy that is located and concentrated only in certain parts of the world, solar energy is available in almost every part of the Earth.
This means solar energy is a better choice for designing a smart home energy solutions compared to other forms of renewable energy. Also, the sun is an infinite source of energy and hence nothing beats solar energy to design sustainable energy solutions for mankind.
Cuts Down Electricity Expenses
Solar energy solutions cut down energy bills for homes drastically. In fact, if homeowners can produce surplus power, it is possible that they can export the surplus power back to the grid and receive incentives from the electric utility too.
Also, with the advancing technology in the design and development of solar panels and cells, the cost of per unit solar power has been drastically reduced compared with that of ten years ago.
Suited for Diversified Needs
Solar energy is one such solution that can work wonder for any form of energy needs. Ranging from domestic cookers to space stations, it has the potential to cater to the energy required for any size and in any quantity. This makes solar energy a one-stop solution for any range of smart home solutions and appliances.
Ease of Maintenance
Once installed, solar energy panels and systems need very little maintenance. In fact, a solar energy solution from a well-reputed manufacturer would last around 30 years with very little care and maintenance.
This is owing to the absence of moving parts in the solar energy panels and their sturdy construction. This is yet another reason why solar energy is best suited for home systems.
Another attractive feature of solar systems is that their manufacturers offer warranty and free service for a period of time, even after that the service charges for repair and maintenance are very minimal and pocket-friendly for customers.
Enhances the Value of Home
Studies revealed that homes that are fitted with solar energy powered devices are often considered as attractive and trending to the potential home buyers.
It means when you fit your home with solar powered energy systems, you are making your home trendier in the real estate market with more benefits compared to your counterparts.
Greener Future for Next Generations
Choosing solar energy means gifting a beautiful and greener future for the next generations. Yes. This is because when you opt for solar energy to power your smart house, you are indirectly contributing to lessening the greenhouse gases and thus lending your appreciable contribution to reducing global warming.
What you can do?
Solar energy is a clean, renewable and pollution-free source of energy. Though mankind has been relying on the sun and its energy since ages for various purposes such as drying clothes, agriculture, and farming, food preparation, knowing the time and estimating weather predictions, etc. the usage of solar energy to drive smart home is a concept that is being adopted increasingly in recent times.
While the whole the world is moving towards smart life, implementing smart energy systems driven by solar energy is a novel and reliable idea that would just change the way we rely on the sources of energy such as diesel and petrol.
All that you need to do as a responsible citizen of this Earth is to choose solar energy systems for making your home smarter! Make your dream home a smart and green one with solar powered energy systems!
- All About Solar Panel Tiles and Shingles – Cost – Pros – Cons
- Save Your Solar Power: Maximize the Energy with These Simple Tips
- 7 Tips to Create a More Eco-Friendly Home or Apartment
- 6 Eco-Energy Solutions for Your Home to Save Money
- 7 Solar Energy Myths – Busted!
- 4 Energy-Saving Tips for Your Home to Lower your Bills