Who doesn’t love the thought of making their tile or natural stone last as long as possible in wet areas such as the bathroom etc?
Well, with this thought the one name that pops up automatically is cement backer board to tile on. After all, that’s what can pull the job off and provide great water protection as well.
But this is also where the biggest question takes place. Which one is better – especially when it comes to two reliable and solid products like Durock vs Wonderboard cement boards?
In a way, you can say it’s a battle between two equally reliable and rigid options.
For obvious reasons, you can’t stick to both. But which one should you go for? Well, this article will try to get you an answer on that.
About Durock Cement Backer Board
Durock® Brand Cement Board with EdgeGuard™ is mostly known for bringing in one of the strongest cement boards out there.
From the name, you can easily guess that’s made out of cement. But there are also added reinforced fibers along with glass mesh in the equation, which has made it a reliable cement product.
One of the main reasons why this cement backer board has reached a greater level of acceptability is how easy it has been for the users to nail or make the cement board screw heads sink easily against the surface. But we can’t say the same thing about using drywall screws on it.
To ensure top quality, the makers take the cement backer boards through thorough tests in order to meet the Building Code Requirements.
Besides, it’s good at withstanding water-related issues and mold as well. But it’s better to install a waterproof membrane below the tile’s bonding mortar.
One of the common thinking about this reliable backer board is that it can only be used over walls in bathroom alone. But the thing is it can also be used for places like kitchen, flooring, outdoor areas etc.
Plus, it’s also considered a perfect replacement for gypsum boards. Plus, this cement backerboard offers great tile bond.
Advantages & Disadvantages of Durock Cement Board
Like any other backer board out there, Durock too got its share of advantages and disadvantages. Well, here are the main ones:
- Due to having high strength, it can prevent denting, cracking, and deformation
- With high durability, it can sustain twenty years at least
- It doesn’t need mixing or drying cement
- The board can get installed faster compared to traditional solutions
- Ability to resist moisture has made it completely waterproof
- It can resist swelling, mold, and decay along with any kind of water damage
- Unlike other cement backerboards, it’s low on maintenance cost
- It is non-combustible.
- With a rough surface, it ensures better bonding with tiles or stone.
- Since it is true cement board, it is brittle.
- If you cut it into thin strips, they can easily break.
- Not easily installed by a single person
About Wonderboard Lite Cement Backerboard
When it comes to the right cement backerboard with fiberglass reinforcement, it’s hard to ignore the name Wonderboard in the first place.
Along with being 20% lighter, this cement backerboard tends to be a great option for any application like commercial and residential tile, thin-brick, stone, and slate applications.
Along with meeting ANSI A118.9 performance standards, WonderBoard Lite has shown characteristics of high-flexural strength.
Besides, its effective moisture resistance has made it an ideal choice for wet areas. This means you can use it in your internal and external projects.
When it comes to applicable surfaces, it is suitable for applying over anything like walls, counters, vanities, floors, and ceilings.
One of the best things about WonderBoard Lite panels is Stable Portland cement, aggregates, EPS beads, and reinforcement are used to make them.
There are two different sizes available to serve different applications. One of them is 36 x 60 x 7/16-inches, and the other one is 36 x 60 x 1/4-inches.
Advantages & Disadvantages of Wonderboard
Every coin got a flip side, and no product is any different. This theory goes for Wonderboard too. Yes, it’s the advantages and disadvantages that we’re talking about.
- Effective formula pushes the durability of the performance higher
- Stays stable even if it’s exposed to moisture which makes it immune to water damage
- The panel’s preprinted pattern makes scoring, snapping, cutting, and fastening easier
- It complies with all ANSI requirements for cement backerboard
- Unlike fiber cement board, it’s free of fiber and gypsum
- It can be applied in both dry and wet places
- The board is suitable for both indoor and outdoor surfaces
- More reliable compared to fiber cement products.
- Can’t be cut into thin strips
- Requires the proprietary cement board screws for better fastening
- Heavier than Durock
Wonderboard vs Durock – Which One is Better?
There are a few aspects that have made these two different from each other. On the basis of those aspects, you can easily assume which one to pick or which one is better.
When it comes to stiffness, Wonderboard is ahead of Durock.
Clearly, durability matters more than anything here. So, if you’re looking forward to that too, Durock seems a little better than Wonderboard here with around 20 years of lifetime (according to professionals).
Both products have 30-years limited warranty though.
Wonderboard Lite can also last as long as Durock but on paper it has a little less compressive strength of 1200 psi compared to 1250 psi of Durock.
Wonderboard is heavier than Durock (although the Lite version is 20% lighter), which has made them a bit difficult to install, whether it’s any home improvement projects or commercial. So, if you want to bypass the hassle of installation, we’d say you better go with Durock.
- Durock 3×5 ft board (1/2 inch thick): weight is 35 Lbs
- Wonderboard Lite 3×5 ft board (0.44 inch thick): weight is 44 Lbs
- Durock 3×5 ft board (1/2 inch thick): Cost around $10 per board (for bulk orders)
- Wonderboard Lite 3×5 ft board (0.44 inch thick): Cost around $10 per board (for bulk orders)
Regarding price, they are both about the same cost.
Considering the overall aspects, we’d say that both Wonderboard and Durock are pretty comparable products. Wonderboard is heavier though.
We hope you’ve got your answer to the question – which one is better when it comes to Durock vs Wonderboard.
They are both true Cement made backer boards with glass fiber-mesh reinforcement with excellent water protection and durability.
In short, if you’re thinking about a good backer board which is stiffer with great tile bonding, we’d say Wonderboard can do better.
But when you’re looking forward to having something a bit more sturdy but lighter for flat surfaces, Durock can be a better choice.
- Comparison of HardieBacker Cement Board vs Plywood For Tiling Projects
- 6 Great Alternatives to HardieBacker Cement Board
- Comparison of WonderBoard vs GoBoard Used as Tile Backer Boards
- How Much Does it Cost to Furnish a House – Living Room,Bedroom,Kitchen etc
- 5 Benefits of Spray Foam Insulation During Summer
- Here are Some Plumbing Installation Tips For your New Home
Leave a Reply