Your woodworking projects will definitely stand-out when you use the best cabinet table saw. With it, you can come up with durable and presentable cabinets and woodworks. However, with countless table saws available in the market today, you’ll surely be confused about what to choose.
To start with, there are two types of table saws and these are the portable and stationary types. The portable type are the benchtop, compact and jobsite table saws while the stationary type includes the contractor, hybrid, sliding and cabinet table saws. All of these have unique features but also have their share of drawbacks.
So, how will you know what’s the better choice between a sliding table saw vs cabinet saw in your garage? Let’s check out their pros and cons to find out.
Sliding Table Saws
Sliding table saw facts and features:
- It’s also called a European cabinet saw.
- It’s used to cut sheet goods and large panels or solid timber.
- It has a sliding table on the blade’s left side and attached to a folding arm.
- Its folding arm is used for crosscutting and ripping off of larger materials.
- Known as the largest type of table saw and used by large production cabinet shops.
- It usually incorporates a riving knife to avoid kickbacks.
Sliding table saw pros and cons:
- You can have more work done.
- It’s safe and secure to use.
- Ripping wood is very easy and effortless.
- It’s accurate and efficient.
- It takes up a large amount of room.
- You need to take off the fence to do larger cuts.
Cabinet Saw Features
Now, if you prefer the best cabinet saw, it’s understandable to get to know its features. Here are just some of them:
- It has an enclosed base.
- It uses a large amount of cast iron and steel to increase accuracy and minimize vibration.
- It has induction motors.
- It has an easy to replace insert around the blade to enable the use of zero-clearance inserts.
- It provides heavier construction for more durability and lower vibration.
- It is capable of high duty-cycles.
- It is equipped with a table extension that increases the ripping capacity of up to 50”.
Cabinet Saw Pros and Cons
Advantages of using the best cabinet table saw:
- It provides accurate cuts.
You can check your measurements by using a ruler between the fence and blade or between the bench side and blade which allow cuts to be more accurate and error-free.
- It is versatile.
Cabinet table saws can do a variety of jobs with great ease and versatility.
- Easy cuts and with little resistance
You’re assured of precise, straight and easy cuts because there’s a fence where wood can be pressed and guided upon.
The revolution per minute is very high due to the circular saw and electric motor which results in fast and efficient wood ripping.
Disadvantages of a cabinet table saw:
- Dust collects at the base of the cabinet for some cabinet table saw brands.
- It tends to be bulky and heavyweight.
- Some cabinet table saw models have lower horsepower which limits cutting into harder and heavier wood.
- Some of the cabinet table saw models have no leveling adjustments and have to be leveled with wedges.
If you’re looking for the best cabinet table saw around, check out these features to ensure that you choose the right model or brand:
- Motor horsepower
- Dust port
- Riving Knife
- Base material
- Hand wheel
Here are some other things to consider before buying the cabinet table saw of your choice:
- Make sure that it has zero clearance inserts.
- Be sure to check if the splitter is in place.
- Do check if it has a reliable, straight and solid fence with no movement.
- Ascertain if the miter slot and the arbor shaft are of the right size.
- Ensure that the table is flat.
There’s actually a very thin line that differentiates a sliding table saw vs cabinet saw in your garage. Both are basically similar to each other due to their stationary nature. However, with the sliding table saw, there’s a sliding table on the left side of the blade. This functionality allows woodworking experts, contractors and DIYers to move the table and brace the wood pieces instead of moving it across an immobile table.
For the best value of your money, be sure to review the checklist provided above on the things to consider before buying the best cabinet table saw around.
There are many cutting-edge designs and brands out in the market nowadays such as the Powermatic PM2000 and Sawstop PCS31230. Just be sure to make the necessary comparisons not only when it comes to features, functions, and durability but also in terms of cost.
- 15 Stores Like Home Depot for Your Home Projects (Great Alternatives)
- What is a Tandem Garage? Description, Pros, Cons, Dimensions etc
- How Much Does it Cost to Epoxy a Garage Floor? All Details Below
- How Much Does it Cost to Build a 24’x24′ two-car Garage?
- 9 Low Cost Car Garage Alternatives for your Home
- Why You Should Insulate Your Garage Door